Get me outta here!

Monday, October 21, 2013

Recipe: Kale and Bean Soup

I modified this recipe from Vegan Yum Yum and it turned out really great. I didn't have carrots so I substituted cauliflower because I did have that and I didn't feel like making seitan so I added mushrooms instead because I happened to have those as well. I also added some more tomato because I wanted it to be more tomato-y.

Ingredients

Onion
Kale
Cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
Potatoes
Cauliflower
Mushrooms
Water
Canned tomatoes
Passata
Tomato paste (optional but I used it to thicken it a bit)
Olive oil
Thyme
Oregano
Majoram
Cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

You can use as many of these ingredients as you want, depending on how much soup you want to make. I always find these dishes very convenient to make a lot of to freeze or eat the next day. Just make sure the amounts of all the ingredients is balanced out and add the herbs and spices while tasting. If you want to have it more stew like than a soup, make sure that you don't add too much water when you're cooking. I wanted a more soup like consistency so I used quite a lot of water, which did turn out too much in the end because I had to thicken my soup.

Peel and chop the potatoes and clean and chop your cauliflower. Saute the onion in a bit of olive oil and once it's tender, add the potatoes and cauliflower. Add water and let it cook for a while until the potatoes cauliflower are getting tender and then add the kale (I used a bag of pre-chopped kale but you can obviously chop it yourself as well or even use frozen kale). Stir everything and start adding the canned tomatoes and passata. Because my soup remained a bit thin, I added some tomato paste as well to thicken it a bit (didn't do the trick as much as I wanted so I ended up adding some bread crumbs in the end to make it thicker). Lastly add the herbs and spices and stir everything. Let it all simmer until everything is tender and then enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment