Get me outta here!

Friday, September 20, 2013

Book Chat: A Book I Think Everyone Should Read

Photobucket 

I'm a day late but I'm going to jump in anyway, I've been meaning to participate in the book chat for a while now but I never did it for some reason so here we go!

There are a quite some books I'd recommend to people but I'm not going to go with any of my favorite YA contemporary or dystopian novels. Or my favorite Canadian ladies, Margaret Atwood and Margaret Laurence.

A book everybody should read, simply because it's an important topic people should be informed about, is Eating Animals. I'm not recommending this because I'm vegan but because everybody should be aware of what they're eating, especially when it comes to the meat industry. Obviously there are many other issues going on, like GMO food, but I think the meat industry is something not everybody knows a lot about and Eating Animals is a good way to get started because there's a lot of information, both from the author himself but he also lets other people talk so you get an all around view of the industry. Everything in the book is connected to Foer's history with food which makes the whole read more personal and interesting.



Because this is a non-fictional book and probably also a bit of a depressing on at that, I decided to add another book, which is The Discovery of Heaven. It's one of my absolute favorites, by Dutch author Harry Mulisch, and while it's a really long read, it's absolutely worthwhile. The story tackles so much, philosophical, theological, psychological topics but it's also a story about friendship and relationships.. It's not an easy read but absolutely wonderful and it will stay with you for a long time.


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Book Chat! :) I haven't read either of these, but I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I hope you'll like them if you end up reading them :)

      Delete