Get me outta here!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Recommend the Most

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish. For more info about the meme and how to participate, click here.

 Top Ten  Books I Recommend The Most

1. The Diviners by Margaret Laurence
One of my favorite books ever, I was assigned this by my favorite professor in my first seminar on Post-Colonialism and it stayed with me ever since, so did Margaret Laurence and Canadian Literature, this was the start of everything. It's a wonderful story that makes me cry and gives me goosebumps every time I read it.

2. The Discovery of Heaven by Harry Mulisch
Another one of my absolute favorite books, I read it before my last year of high school and for a long time there was nothing better than this for me. Harry Mulisch is a Dutch author and he's a master of prose, this book is his masterpiece.

3. Eating Animals by Jonathan Saffran Foer
Meat-eater, vegetarian, vegan, whatever, everybody should read this book to at least be aware of everything that is going on in the industry connected to eating animals. It's an honest exploration of the industry in all its forms.

4. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
This series is what got me into YA Dystopia, I can't even exactly say what it is about the series but it gets to me and it does things to me.

5. Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
Actually I recommend the whole series, I came to it quite late but I'm glad I finally end up reading it, so funny, beautiful and real.

6. The Other Hand by Chris Cleave
I picked this up at the library randomly because of the bright orange cover. It doesn't say much on the dust jacket so I had no idea what I was in for but I was intrigued. It's good. Really good.

7. Room by Emma Donoghue
So good, so sad, so wonderfully written. This will stay with you for a while if you read it.

8. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
If you love dogs, or animals in general, this is a must read. Beautiful, funny and sad. It will make you laugh, smile, cry and feel good. I do also want to give a shout out to A Dog's Purpose and A Dog's Journey which are equally beautiful.

9. Wilfair by Alysia Gray Painter
This series is fun, different and just something that makes you feel good. On top of that Alysia is a wonderful person and everybody should read her books and hang out at her blog.

10. Divergent by Veronica Roth
Another YA Dystopia that pulled me in, I love it. The concept of the society this series is set in is a really interesting one and I really like that the protagonist is just a "regular" girl.

10 comments:

  1. Most of these are still sitting on my TBR list, as I've only read The Hunger Games and the Divergent books so far. Collins' series is very... addicting! I couldn't stop reading, and same for Divergent. I read Foer's Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and enjoyed it quite a bit, and I'd love to read his other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, both series did that to me as well, just couldn't stop reading. Especially The Hunger Games gave me some sleepless nights because I was reading until morning. I've only read Eating Animals by Foer but I definitely want to read more by him, I like his style.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I've heard so many good things about ROOM, I've got to get to that one soon. Not to mention Divergent too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROOM is really good but also not the easiest book to read concerning the subject matter but absolutely worth reading. I hope you'll enjoy it when you get around to it. If I were you, I'd wait starting Divergent until later this year when the third and last book in the series will be released. They're seriously addicting and that way you can read everything in one go.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The Hunger Games is my jam too, and I'm reading The Diviners now and loving it :-) Awesome list.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reread The Hunger Games before the movie and it sucked me in just as it did the first time, I can't wait to read it again for the next movie. The fact that you're reading The Diviners and loving it makes me so happy. It holds a very special place in my heart and others loving it puts a smile to my face :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. The Hunger Games and Divergent are both great choices!

    Check out my TTT.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely love both series and while there are others that I loved, I think it will take a whole lot to make me love them more than The Hunger Games and Divergent...

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I really loved Room. I didn't want it to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, and I felt like it could have gone for a while longer but it was perfect as it was as well.

      Delete