Get me outta here!

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

End of Year Book Survey 2012

Image17




Hosted by Jamie from The Perpetual Page Turner


Best In Books 2012



1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)

General Fiction: A Dog's Purpose & A Dog's Journey
Non Fiction: Eating Animals
Dystoptian: Insurgent
YA: Sloppy Firsts & Second Helpings

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Thumped, I love McCafferty's Jessica Darling series and the premise of the series is interesting but as much as I wanted to like it, these books just didn't work for me. Come to think of it, maybe Penelope is a better choice here, I wanted to like it so much because it's set in college but it absolutely didn't work for me, badly written, uninteresting characters and just bad all around.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012? 

I guess I went into Between the Lines thinking I wouldn't like it as much as I did, glad that I trusted friends' reviews on Goodreads for this series!

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?

I recommended Eating Animals to several friends I knew that would like it and I feel like I recommended the Wilfair books to people and if I didn't, I'm doing it now because people need to read these!

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?

The Jessica Darling books because they're so awesome and everything one wants in YA in my opinion, I'm glad I finally read these!

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?

Lauren Oliver because her writing style is awesome and I finally read Delirum in 2012. Alysia Gray Painter as well because her writing style is quite different from everything else that is out there (as are her books!), she has a wonderful way with words.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

There's not really a book that I read that is completely applicable but I usually don't read German books (because I'm so used to reading in English) so I'm going with Zuckerguss by my friend Anica Schriever. If you're into chicklit and read German, definitely pick up this one! Other than this one maybe Eating Animals because I usually don't read non-fiction. Well, I do but that's for my research so I'm not counting that.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?

I thought it was a toss between Insurgent and Pandemonium but seems like the latter one, read that in one day.

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:

Insurgent, will most likely reread this before the next one comes out.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?

The Discenchantments cover is so pretty!

13487082

11. Most memorable character in 2012? 

Jessica Darling

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?

The Atwood fan in me wants to say I'm Starved for You and Choke Collar because everything she writes is amazing but I have to mention Lauren Oliver as well because her prose is outstanding and beautiful.


13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012? 

Eating Animals by Jonathan Saffran Foer, it opened my eyes about vegetarianism even more.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read? 

The whole Jessica Darling series.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012? 

I never highlight on my Kindle but while reading my last book of 2012, I just had to highlight this passage from Charlotte Sometimes:

Where you some particular person because people recognized you as that?

16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012? 

Longest Insurgent by Veronica Roth with 525 pages
ShortestFoundation by Ann Aguire with 32 pages

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

I don't really remember actually... I'm going with Insurgent here I guess. I have a feeling there was something else but I can't remember!

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

I think Jessica Darling and Marcus Flutie, they just work so well together.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously

So I don't put down Insurgent again here, let's go with I'm Starved for You and Choke Collar by Margaret Atwood.

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

I think that would be Between the Lines

 Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional)



1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012? 

I'm not really active in the scene besides hanging around Goodreads, should become more active in 2013.

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012? 

I don't write that many reviews so I'm going with this one I wrote for Wit & Fancy about the Wilfair books.

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?

NA

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?

NA

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)

NA

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?

NA

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

NA

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

NA

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Alysia Gray Painter's blog related to the Wilfair books (and not only that) is a cool one to hang around.

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I set myself the goal of reading 50 books, ending up with 56 new ones and 4 re-reads and 2 not finished.

Looking Ahead…


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?

I really need to get on with my reading of Timothy Findley. Also (re) read some Atwood. A must in 2013 or I can't get ahead with my thesis.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?

Divergent #3 - Veronica RothRequiem - Lauren Oliver
Moppet Shop - Margaret Atwood
Through the Ever Night - Veronica Rossi
Fairwil - Alysia Gray Painter
Scandal - Lauren Kunze
Size 12 is the New Black - Meg Cabot
Horde - Ann Aguire
Raven - Lauren Oliver
Prodigy - Marie Lu

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?


Read Atwood and Findley.
Read 50 books.
Write more about books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment