Get me outta here!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Recipe: Pita with Cabbage


Photo credit: royalholiday from morguefile.com

I still had a white cabbage that I needed to do something with so I looked for some recipes, came across this one that sounded tasty so I tried it out tonight. Here's the original from Allrecipes:

1 1/2 pounds ground pork sausage
1 medium head cabbage, shredded
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon white sugar
salt to taste
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup sour cream
1 (8 ounce) package pitas, halved

In wok or skillet, brown pork sausage, drain and set aside.
Combine in wok or skillet: Shredded cabbage, onion, crushed red pepper, sugar, salt, and water. Steam covered for approximately 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender; stirring occasionally.
Return pork sausage to wok or skillet with cabbage mixture and add sour cream; mix well. Serve stuffed inside warmed pita bread.

I kinda altered it and used tofu instead of sausages to make it healthier and I didn't get actual pita but a different kind of flatbread. I also added some chili sauce to the mixture and as I realize now, I kinda forgot the sugar. It was really good all the same though! I'll definitely be making it again, maybe with sausages some time which will give it a different kind of taste I guess but I really like tofu so it was all good. The only thing that takes a bit of time is cutting up the cabbage and cooking it but other than that it's a quick and easy dinner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment