Get me outta here!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Recipe: Brussels Sprouts Soup with Blue Cheese


Photo credit: maxstraeten from morguefile.com

I made Brussels sprouts soup after finding a recipe on this site on Saturday. I absolutely love Brussels sprouts and I had never made soup with them so I simply had to try this. Here's the recipe:

1/2 onion - finely chopped
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp crushed ginger
1 tbsp olive oil
2-1/2 cups milk - warmed
2 cups chopped cooked brussels sprouts
1-1/2 cups chopped cooked potatoes
1 tbsp dry sherry
100gm blue cheese
Nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, garlic & ginger in olive oil for 10 minutes or until onion is soft.
Add the chopped vegetables to the warmed milk and stir to combine.
Add vegetables and milk to onion, garlic and ginger.
Blend to puree.
Add crumbled blue cheese and dry sherry.
Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
Re-heat until cheese melts and soup is hot.
Do not boil.

I followed the recipe except for the fact that I didn't have sherry but I did have port so I added that instead. I also added a bit more ginger because the taste was kinda lost; however, I did end up with a bit too much ginger and port in the soup so next time around I will be a bit more careful and I think I'll try it with fresh ginger (I only had ground ginger at home). It also definitely needs some stronger blue cheese than what I used but they didn't have any other at the store I went to so went with a Danish cheese but I think Gorgonzola might be better but obviously this depends on your own taste.

The whole soup together was an interesting combination of flavors and while I wasn't all too impressed the first time around, when I ate the rest of it the day after I liked it a lot better. Will definitely be making this again sometime!

0 comments:

Post a Comment